2nd Manassas - Aug. 1862
The Battle of 2nd Manassas - Saturday, August 30, 1862
The Stone House

The Stone House
The Stone House, a site the soldiers of each side remembered, was a common landmark during both the Battles of First and Second Manassas. Used as a hospital for wounded soldiers, this beautiful home still rests at the intersection of the Manassas/Sudley Road and the Warrenton Turnpike. This intersection controlled the battlefield allowing those who possessed it to move about with relative ease. It was this crucial junction that Union General John Pope was able to save as daylight faded. Without the sacrifices sustained during the monumental effort of the remaining involved Union brigades, the Confederate soldiers pouring down over Chinn Ridge may have swept them from the field. If the Union Army had been defeated, Washington, D.C. was but a short 30 miles away.

The Stone House on the Manassas Battlefield