An 1872 painting of General Robert E. Lee's final visit to the grave site of his former Lieutenant General Thomas Jackson.
General Jackson was buried in the Cemetery of the Lexington Presbyterian Church in Lexington Virginia
where Jackson lived prior to the war and where Lee resided after the war ended.
General Lee is buried on the grounds of Washington and Lee University
at the other end of town. The site pictured above is of Jackson's
initial burial site (shown below). At the end of the 19th Century,
his body was moved to the site of the
bronze statue erected in his memory,
only a short distance away but in a more prominent space.