A few bricks outlining the old foundation and steps leading to what had been the entrance are all that remain of the
Chancellor House, the once proud building that gave this battle its name. Surrendering the initiative after successfully maneuvering
around the Confederate Army, the Federals retreated to a defensive position along this line on Day 1. Union Major General Joseph Hooker,
took this once stately home as his Headquarters, then saw it battered into ruin on May 3, 1863 when Confederate guns blasted the Union
center. Southern artillery fire from Fairview, a rise a short distance to the south west, spelled the end for the stately brick inn.
One shell struck a column against which the Commanding General was leaning, causing a possible concussion and temporary confusion. For
some time afterwards, General Hooker remained unable to direct the battle.
battle's end, despite being pushed back across the river to their former lines, General Hooker issued this congratulatory statement
to the Army of the Potomac. "The major-general commanding tenders to this army his congratulations on its achievements of the
last seven days. If it has not accomplished all that was expected, the reasons are well known to the army. It is sufficient to say
they were of a character not to be foreseen or prevented by human sagacity or resource...We have no other regret than that
caused by the loss of our brave companions, and in this we are consoled by the conviction that they
have fallen in the holiest cause ever submitted to the arbitrament of battle."